Main      Site Guide    
Message Forum
re: water
Posted By: Faux Pas, on host
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2001, at 19:52:58
In Reply To: Re: Claritan posted by Nyperold on Thursday, September 20, 2001, at 13:45:51:

> > > Can you overdose on this product?
> >
> > You can overdose on most anything. An overdose, by definition, is exceeding the amount that one is supposed to take.
> I've even heard of someone overdosing on *water*. I wouldn't have thought it possible before.
> Nyperold


"deficiency of "sodium" SODIUM in the blood; salt depletion. Hyponatremia is present when the sodium concentration is less than 135 mEq per liter. It can occur as a result of inadequate sodium intake, as in a sodium-restricted diet, excessive water ingestion or retention, or excessive wasting of salt.
Symptoms include muscular weakness and twitching, progressing to convulsions if unrelieved; alterations in level of consciousness; mental confusion; and anxiety. When the cause of hyponatremia is salt wasting there is an accompanying loss of body fluids. Treatment is based on correction of the underlying cause. "

From Bascially, you can become intoxicated if you drink too much water the blood plasma becomes diluted and there is a loss of salt from sweating. "Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function." One feels intoxicated.

-Faux "finder of things" Pas